Cutting blunt bangs may seem daunting, but a few simple tips can help you master the craft. Jesse Linares, Sam Villa ArTeam member, suggests keeping your movements fine and on purpose and using small sections and guides. “Breaking fringe down into bite size pieces delivers predictable results that are easier to reproduce,” explains Linares. Here, he shares five tips for cutting blunt bangs along with three ways to check evenness.
- Create reference points on the head to determine where the fringe should be. The corner of the eye references where the front of the head turns into the side of the head. If a comb is placed vertically at that point and rocked to the hairline, it lands just before the high point of the head. Use that as a part for the section. Repeat on the other side. Pin section up—all of this hair will be the fringe.
- Create three guides. Pull a couple strands of hair out on each side of the section and one at the bridge of the nose. Cut the guide on each side at the corner of the eye at the desired length and once more in the center. Hold with very little tension while cutting.
- Take a veil of hair down from the section and lay over the guides. Place the wide teeth of a Sam Villa Short Cutting Comb, behind the hair from the center to one side, tap hair into the comb (keeps elevation at a minimum) making sure to see the two guides, and cut the hair to connect the two guides. Repeat on other side.
- Take another very fine section out from the clipped back hair and repeat step #3. Repeat until the entire clipped back section is cut.
- To texturize, divide fringe section in half. Stand behind the client and elevate half the section (from center to one side) and make one or two passes with the Sam Villa Signature Series InvisiBlend Shear. It’s designed for working on dry hair and creating soft textured accents in crowns, fringes, face framing layers and slide cutting. It’s ideal for small reductions of weight without sacrificing length. The result will be a blunt line with softness. Repeat on the other half of the section.