Project Runway alum Michael Costello debuted his New York Fashion Week SS18 collection at the Robert Miller Gallery in Chelsea, Manhattan last week. With blush tones and soft-draping fabrics, Costello created two collections—bridal and couture—meant to celebrate women of all shapes and sizes. To create drastic contrast between the collections, Mizani's Global Artistic Director, César DeLeön Ramirêz (@cesar4styles), created two separate styles using Mizani and Olivia Garden products.
“The inspiration for the looks very much came from a collaborative effort between Michael and me,” says Ramirêz. “Generally, we had a designated look for the bridal collection (the textured bun) and a designated look for couture (the braided crown with soft waves). Both looks were very much influenced by the whimsical, ethereal and feminine aesthetic of the new collection.”
CROWN BRAID WITH SOFT WAVES (Couture Collection)
- Prep hair with Mizani Lived-In Texture Creation Cream. Apply a quarter-sized amount of the product, drying specifically into the roots to create volume and add grit for braiding.
- Create a clean center part using using Olivia Garden CarboSilk Technical & Chemical Comb.
- Off of the center part, create a triangle section on both sides—the front of the part is the first point, the second point being behind the ear, and the third point being at the highest point of the head. Section away using using Olivia Garden Double Clip.
- On each side/each triangle, create an inverted braid. Secure each with an elastic band.
- Use hands to slightly loosen braids before joining them in the back to create a crown braid, tucking away the ends. Use U-pins to secure.
- Use a flat iron on the remaining hair in an S-wave pattern to create loose waves.
- Apply Mizani Lived-In Finishing Spray for texture and dimension.
- Take a bit of Lived-In Texture Creation Cream through the ends to tame any flyaways and add soft hold.
TEXTURED BUN (Bridal)
- Section hair from ear to ear horizontally (split from front to back) to divide head into two sections, top and bottom.
- Take the top, front section and smooth into a high pony. Spray Mizani Humidity Resistant Mist onto an Olivia Garden Ceramic + Ion Supreme Paddle Brush to help smooth hair back. Secure with an elastic cord.
- Take the back section and smooth into another high pony, positioned just below the first ponytail from the top section. Secure with an elastic cord.
- Spray Mizani Lived-In Finishing Spray into the ponytails to build texture.
- Subsection the ponytails and softly tease each section from roots to end with Olivia Garden Style-Up Teasing Brush. Go over each section very lightly with a flat iron, creating “panels” or “sheets.”.
- Spritz Mizani HRM to create a workable hold.
- Wrap each panel around clockwise, creating a soft twisted bun. Continue to layer the panels in this fashion and use U-pins to secure in place.
- Spray Mizani HRM on a small makeup brush to help tame flyaways.
About: In Swahili, the word "MIZANI" means balance and refers to the central concept behind the brand. Each MIZANI formula whether used alone or in combination, gently works to balance the forces of beauty and chemistry, creating radiantly healthy hair. The founding principle of the brand is "Beauty and Chemistry in Balance." Through years of research and testing, Mizani evolves with "Beauty and Innovation" as the core principle to bring technologically advanced products and services to market. The balance refers to the moisture protein equilibrium that endows hair with the strength and flexibility it needs to stay healthy.