More than a year later and we’re still loving this cobra braid I created for the Leanne Marshall (@leannemarshallofficial) Fall/Winter 2016 show at New York Fashion Week—so I’m bringing it back for a dose of motivation.
One of the best things about this pony-braid hybrid, which is actually more like an intricate knot, is that it works on the runway and in reality. So it’s a great technique to share with your guests or try for your next special occasion client. And remember that SPRx has a plethora of braiding and ponytail modules ready for you—whenever and wherever you like.
1. Prep hair by blow-drying with Aveda Thickening Tonic. Create a center part then divide hair into three sections.
2. Pull the center section into a ponytail, then take the left section and make a loop, bringing it over the ponytail base and then under the right section.
3. Holding that formation in place, take the right section under the ponytail base and pull it through the loop on the left side, tightening them together to make a knot.
4. Repeat the process, alternating sides and ensuring each knotted section is tight.
5. Tuck the ends into the base of the pony and secure with bobby pins.
6. Spritz hair with Aveda Control Force Firm Hair Spray.
About: Jon Reyman, Co-founder of Salon Pro RX and Owner of Spoke & Weal Salons, has been a pioneer of change in the beauty industry for the past 20 years. He’s introduced a comprehensive online technical library for beauty professionals and salon owners with more than 900 educational videos, and has launched salons in five cities. Jon’s work and salons have been featured in publications and outlets such as Vogue, Harper’s Bazaar, Allure, Refinery 29, E! and Access Hollywood.