Ted Gibson styled Elizabeth Bank for the MET Gala. Learn how he created her cutting edge ponytail:
She’s been doing press all over the world for Pitch Perfect 2 and I was just in Philadelphia with her yesterday and she was so excited about tonight’s gala! We talked about who was sitting at her table and how much fun she was going to have. Tonight’s theme is China: Through the Looking Glass and I think her turquoise Michael Kors dress suited the occasion perfectly. Given the theme, I didn’t think about romance at all. My first thought was for her hair to be chic, sexy and straight. I think straight hair always evokes a certain sensibility, which most girls love and appreciate. I know Elizabeth’s look had to be off of her face to compliment the makeup. I also knew I wanted her to have a ponytail, but not any ordinary pony. It had to be architectural in feel and cutting edge. This ponytail is not for the lighthearted girl! – Ted Gibson
1. As an editorial hairdresser, to begin I knew that I didn’t want her hair to be freshly shampooed. Day old hair makes styling so much easier! I started by spraying her hair with L’Oréal Professionnel Densité thickening primer at the scalp for density and root elevation. I then gave her a quick ted gibson blow dry with medium heat and power using a flat Mason Pearson brush. Since her hair was already dry I didn’t need the extra heat.
2. After her blow-dry I applied a dime sized amount of L’Oréal Professionnel Architexture to her hair to provide form, structure and definition and flat ironed it straight.
3. I sectioned her hair from recession to recession in a horseshoe section. Then, I parted her hair down the middle from the crown to the nape of the neck.
4. Next, I put her hair in 2 ponytails at the crown of her head. I then applied L’Oréal Professionnel OR Graphic gel to the sides of her hair for added hold and sleek, smooth shine.
5. I then fastened the 2 ponys with a bungee elastic so that they were close together.
6. Then, I added 4 rows of clip-in extensions over the top of the 2 ponys to add length. I flat ironed the extensions and then pulled the hair left out in the horseshoe section over the 2 ponytails.
7. As I was working and forming her ponytails I was sure to spray L’Oréal Professionnel Infinium 4 hairspray for a dry, strong hold without any sticky residue to hold my work in place.
8. After her ponytail was set, I placed a Sylvain Le Hen barrette at the base to widen it for a geometric shape and for added Asian flair.
9. Once my work was complete, I finished her off with L’Oréal Professionnel Extreme Lacquer hairspray for added hold, shine and to fight frizz … and just like that… she was ready for the Oscars of Fashion!
About: Ted Gibson is one of the most sought-after editorial, runway, and celebrity hair stylists in the business. His work has appeared in publications such as Vogue, Harper’s Bazaar, Elle, Marie Claire, Vanity Fair, People StyleWatch, W, and Allure and backstage at runway shows such as Chanel, Prada, Dolce & Gabbana. To learn more visit tedgibsonbeauty.com.