Styling naturally curly hair takes strategy — whether the texture is tightly coiled or loose curls, there has to be a game plan, and it usually involves a ton of product, deliberate sectioning and a tactical drying technique. Sam Villa, co-founder and chief creative officer of Sam Villa and global artistic ambassador for Redken, shares how to enhance a larger curls pattern.
- Use a good moisturizing line such as Redken All Soft to shampoo and condition hair.
- Divide clean wet hair into six sections. Three sections in the front (side, top, side) and three sections in the back (crown, center back, nape).
- Start in the nape and apply Redken Curvaceous Full Swirl Curly and Waving Cream Serum to the first section and brush through with a Sam Villa Signature Series 9 Row Finishing Brush.
- Gently squeeze the section with hands, hold for 5 -10 seconds and then release.
- Repeat steps 3 and 4 to each section.
- Dry into place with a Sam Villa Artist Series Professional Blow Dryer and Diffuser. Do not pull on hair when drying.
- Dry completely and shake hair to release defined polished curls.
To learn more from the Sam Villa Team, check out free Facebook Live classes and YouTube tutorials. The complete catalogue of customizable education for salons, shows and events, including Thrive On, is available here.
Hair: Sam Villa
Guest Artist: Jose Luis Salon
Creative Director: Teresa Romero
Photographer: Nico Nordstrom Obsidian & Blush
Makeup: Sarah Contey-Leticia Tapia
Wardrobe: Michi Lafary Obsidian & Blush
Model: Ilisa Layne