While in the past men turned to shellac to get shiny strands, today more clients are looking to get that sheen naturally from healthy hair, which begins with a solid haircare regimen and a healthy scalp. American Crew, a favorite hairstyling brand geared toward men, recently expanded its Hair Care line to address these needs.
"Scalp care is the new skincare," says David Adams, trichologist and co-founder of Fourteen Jay salon in New York City. "The steps for a healthy scalp and hair are to exfoliate, cleanse and moisturize."
It makes sense then that the hero product of the lineup is the new Detox Shampoo, an exfoliating and detoxifying cleanser that's designed to remove buildup from styling products and excess sebum that accumulates on the hair. Manicouagan clay from Northern Canada infuses the scalp with essential minerals like iron, calcium, sodium, potassium and zinc, and also neutralizes pH to combat dandruff. A dose of coconut shell beads gently massages the scalp to promote micro-circulation.
Additionally, the new Hair Care line includes three redesigned, high-performing formulas: Daily Cleansing Shampoo (recommended for normal to oily hair and scalp), Daily Deep Moisturizing Shampoo (for normal to dry hair) and Daily Moisturizing Conditioner.
Adams notes that stress can wreak havoc on the body and hair, so many clients may notice an increase in shedding and hair loss during this time. Here are the steps Adams recommends that clients take to maximize the benefits of the Hair Care line.
1. Using a scalp brush, give the scalp a dry brush before showering.
2. Dry hands on a towel, then massage Detox Shampoo into fingers. Massage the scalp only, then add either Daily Cleansing Shampoo or Daily Deep Moisturizing Shampoo, lather and rinse.
3. Squeeze ends dry gently with a towel.
4. Add conditioner into the palms of the hands and massage through the midlengths and ends. Use a large-tooth comb from the ends to the scalp. Rinse 75 percent of the conditioner from the hair.
5. Take a towel and wrap around hair. Let it sit on the head and absorb the water for a while. The worst thing clients can do after cleansing is rub their hair with a towel, which increases damage. Since hair grows about 1/2 inch a month, clients will begin to notice a difference in their hair's health after about three to six months of regular use.
Find more on the new Hair Care lineup here.